Wednesday 17 April 2013

Blog Synopsis | Jessica Maree Andrews | EDED 20491 | GDLT


The following is a reflective synopsis of my learning within my ICT's for learning course here at Central Queensland University.  It has taken approximately six weeks to  develop new skills using simple educating tools that are designed to enhance student's learning. Throughout the six weeks, I have developed my learning in using new tools that will enable me (as a future teacher)  to utilise, to enhance and educate students in this new technological era. Before beginning this course, I was already a frequent user of technology, but this course has taken me through a new journey in discovery and skill building.
According to Fasso (2013) Catering for each individual is an ongoing challenge for teachers.
In the first week of my learning I discovered more about 'learning styles'. Taking the Learning styles test  helped me to understand that not everybody can learn the same way. Every student learns differently which becomes important for me as the teacher to ensure that I am teaching to cater for all of the different learning styles.
In week one I learnt just how much technology was being used in classrooms. It shocked me to think that children are no longer sitting at a desk reading the blackboard, all day, they are actually directing their focus into technology. Klopfer (2009) stated that technologies are demonstrating how they impact the way we think, learn, and interact. After reading this resource it became clear to me that technology can incorporate auditory and visual and interactive activities which can help enhance a students learning experience. Evidence shows that technology is now shaping the way in which people communicate, collaborate, think and learn. As a future teacher, I need to learn about technology more to be able to 'communicate' with my learners.

There were some very important information introduced to me in weeks two and three.  Over these two weeks I was introduced to activities that focus on web 2.0 tools . 2.0 Web tools, are web spaces (Wiki's, websites and blogs) that allow users to edit, create and upload Fasso, (2013).  These sites are a great learning tool for students in the classroom because it allows them to be creative, to learn from others, express opinions and to upload media that perhaps relates to what it is that they are learning. I have decided to focus on the use of wiki's because it can be a tool in which students can come together and be interactive on. Out of the three tools, a wiki is the only tool in which can be edited by users, most often, this tool can be used incorrectly because it opens the doors to cyber bullying and inappropriate uploading. With this, the tool needs to be monitored regularly by teachers to ensure that this issue does not occur. The tool requires very little time for explaining how to use it. It is simple to use and it also can be accessed at any time or place. A wiki is a great tool for social interaction and collaboration  with other students from different schools which is an important part of learning.
Whilst I was reading up on Wiki's I also was required to be part of a wiki. This week we were encouraged to respond to a question on the wiki using a theory known as De Bono's six thinking hats. This theory encourages students to work in a group or work individually 
and it
scaffolds a way to examine a range of perspectives on an issue Fasso (2013). You can read about my journey in Week 2  of my blog.

 The next following weeks, I was introduced to Group 2 tools. Group 2 tools  can consist of
images, video and audio tools.  I enjoyed using all of these tools but i specifically enjoyed using the video tool. Using video's can enable a student to be creative and feel as if though they have an opportunity to express themselves. A student using a video needs to not only think about the learning intention of the video but they also need to create music, sound and also the images they wish to include in the video. The use of videos can also help enhance a student's listening skills, communication skills and can also test their interaction skills.

I have previously been a user of Group 2 tools and I believe it has enhanced my communications skills. Group 2 tools not only helps me but it also gives students a chance to express their own learning via pictures and videos. I will be using these group 2 tools in my drama classes and also my English classes in the future because this tool is essential in order to record reading activities, drama assessments and also evaluating stories in primary school English or religious education studies. I will utilize the use of videos in religious education studies to record stories books based on the life of Jesus. Students can then cut and paste their own pictures of their faces onto the story book characters (Google images). The students can then take turns to record their voices reading the story out loud and add that onto the video. The video will then present a story with students voices and students pictures. This is then presented as a classroom interaction and communication activity that they have created working together with the learning intention being:

- articulation whist reading
- Working together
- communicating a story
- Using technology to create a video version of the storybook
- knowing what they need to be doing (staying on task)
- understanding the story ( The life of Jesus)
- Knowing how to use the tool and what it can create
I have created a video to present my communication skills and learning. You can find my video under  Week 5 - Digital Video


Group 3 tools were the final set of tools presented in my learning. Week 5 I was re-introduced to PowerPoint's and then introduced to Glogster and Prezi. As part of week 5's learning, I was asked to create a Prezi and a glogster. I have been a frequent user of PowerPoint presentations and I find that this tool is the most easiest to use. PowerPoint's do not need internet connection to create, nor does it require a huge range of ICT skills to operate it. PowerPoint is useful for students or teachers wanting to present instructions or present assessment analysis. According to Bear (2013) The purpose of a PowerPoint is to present information.
PowerPoint's can be useful in assisting students in communicating with peers and with teachers. In My blog I have described more about the use of PowerPoint's in my classroom. You can find it on Week 5  of my blog  

Glogster and Prezi I found were much more complex to operate. These tools however, provide an opportunity for students to become more creative with their projects. Glogster has provides opportunities for students to upload images, videos and text all on the same page. I found it to be more engaging and exciting for children than what a PowerPoint does. A prezi is a great tool to use on a projector to show students examples or to present a speech cloud for students to collaborate and work together to fill out.
Please look at my blog- week 5 and you can find out more about my thoughts on these tools.
For the final group of tools which consist of google maps, google earth, Adobe flash and online mapping. I decided to elaborate more on google earth because I found this activity to be more engaging for students than observing a simple paper map or a map on a computer.
Students using Google maps/earth can zoom in on places all around the world. Students can then zoom right in to have a look at actual pictures of streets and houses. I discovered this activity to be great if students were sharing where the live or where their family members live. You can read more about my thoughts on Google maps on my Blog - week 5

When asking students to participate on technology or ICT tools it is important to ensure that students are using the internet legally and safely. According to Ellison (2001) schools will often use web pages that are protected by copyright. But it is most important as the teacher to ensure that you are educating your students on using the internet safely. It is vital to explain to the students that
- They are not illegally downloading videos or movies off school computers but also be warning them that it is also illegal to download movies off their own computers at home
- The students are not to upload images of themselves on public forums because they may be at risk of letting 'strangers' view their pictures and they may also be at risk of identity theft and harassment
-  encourage students to only post their first names and only upload group photographs rather than individual pictures Queensland government (2002) (parental consent may be needed)

It is also important for schools to also ensure that students are using the internet correctly. teachers need to be

-  Aware of any unlawful discrimination, harassment and cyber bullying that is occurring

- Students are accessing only what they have been asked to access (monitoring their screen regularly)

 

REFRENCES|

 

Klopfer, E., Osterweil, S., Groff, J., & Haas, J. (2009). Using technology of today, In the classroom today. The instructional power of digital games, networking, stimulations: How Teachers can leverage them. Retrieved from: http://education.mit.edu/papers/GamesSimsSocNets_EdArcade.pdf 

Bear, J., H. (2013). Before you create a powerPoint presentation. Match design to purpose. retrieved from: http://desktoppub.about.com/od/microsoft/bb/powerpointrules.htm
Minter, E., (2001). Using the internet legally. Guidelines for schools, TAFES and sytem authorities: In developing internet policies. Retrieved from: http://www.cesa.catholic.edu.au/media/files/1329.pdf

Fasso,W., (2012). Engagement activities: week 2 Retrieved from CQUniversity e-courses, EDED20491 ICT's for Learning Design, http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/course/view.php?name=EDED20491_2131


No comments:

Post a Comment