Tuesday 12 March 2013

Week two | Activities

 Week two  | Reflection on the use of Mobile phones in classrooms


I approached the wiki site with my own ideas/ opinions about the usage of mobile phones in classrooms although, it was very informative to hear what other people thought about this topic. The wiki was a great tool to use in order to have reflection and debate about this touchy subject with other members of this course. however, I found the wiki to be slightly unorganised and I felt as if though it was hard to follow at times. Needless to say I thought the use of a wiki helped deepen my learning.

In relation to the use of wiki's within a classroom, I feel the wiki activity would help contribute to the learning of students in a classroom environment  because the students have the opportunity to engage in an online discussion and debate/voice their opinions on the matter. The students are not only learning from what other students are saying, but they are also able to learn to accept other opinions that they may not have thought about or considered. The use of the wiki can be used for assessment collaboration where students can jump on to discuss the assignment and deepen their understanding on what is required and also for homework tasks that can be set by the teacher. Although there are plenty of positives about the use of wiki's, there are also some issues that should be addressed. One major issues would be that students may not have internet access at home or at their schools.

In relation to the discussion on the wiki about 'mobile phones in classrooms' I fell under the 'black hat' category. I was very quick to defend my own belief about this topic that I never stopped to consider the other positive/constructive opinions of mobile phones in classrooms said by the others on the wiki.
When being asked to collaborate  on the use of mobile phones on a wiki, there are four learning theories that would have been in use during my thinking and responding process.
Behaviourism- This theory would have been in use when I considered my own behaviour when I attended school. (When a student used a mobile phone in class, was it distracting for me? Was it something that the student got into trouble for? Were there strict rules in having mobiles in school?)
in regards to the other students collaborating, they too would have been considering their own experiences and behaviours towards Mobiles.
 constructivism- After reading the statements made by the other students, I had created new idea's and added that to the knowledge that I had previously already learnt.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica

    I had a similar reaction to the Wiki task. I immediately put on the black hat, putting forward my opinion in a very abrupt way without stopping to think about the many considerations we as future teachers need to take. I did not have prior experience with deBono's six hats but I will definitely be including it in my future teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin!

      It is really helpful to know that I am not alone in thinking this. It goes to show just how many of us don't stop and think about the opinions of others. Thankyou for sharing with me your thoughts. :)

      Delete